Monday, October 31, 2011

Whose Son or Daughter Are You?


I don't think I will ever fathom how much of an impact pop stars, celebrities and artists  have on the average person.  First it was Beyonce's pregnancy which broke twitter records and now the beautiful and sexy Kim Kardashian filed for divorce from Kris Humpries and had social media platforms buzzing.

What I found rather intriguing is that I had a couple of my friends sending me bbm messages shocked and some even devastated at the sudden change of Kim's marital status. Despite these comments, one that stood out from the rest was this one from a very dear friend of mine;

"OMG Neo, what is happening my friend.  Is there still true love out there, please tell me!! I'm terrified"

At first, I thought my friend was joking but as we continued chatting I realized that this was a real concern to her as she later said "Kim wants to be in love and to be a wife.  I'm terrified as apart from Kim, I am surrounded by failed marriages, friends going through tough times in their marriages and it makes me wonder" 

I used to think like my friend...I remember when Eric Bennet and Halle Berry divorced I was devastated and thought if a man could cheat on Halle Berry what hope did I have of ever keeping a man considering my poster wasn't on any teenage boy's wall or locker. I was convinced ALL men cheat especially the married ones as I had been approached by a couple of them and had then sworn off marriage.  This was obviously traumatic and heart breaking for my mom to hear as she wants all four of her daughters to be married to good, honorable, God fearing men.   

Back to my chat with my friend, it then dawned upon me that we often forget who we are!  We tend to forget that we are daughters and sons of the King.  2 Corinthians 6v18:  "And I will be a father to you, And you shall be sons and daughters to Me," Says the Lord Almighty"  We forget that we have been chosen by Him;  John 15v16 "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit-fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name" I used to undermine myself and in turn undermine God even as a born again Christian as I used to look at the people around me and believed if God "couldn't/didn't" come through for them, why on earth would He do that for me.  I used believe that all good that people experienced was short lived and that anything good was doomed to fail as that's just how it is.  How sad a a person was I!? LOL  

So a couple of Oprah shows later, after numerous self help books, hundreds of sermons and bible study classes I FINALLY GOT IT!!!  My Father, God the Almighty sent His ONLY son to die on the cross for me so I could be free. Y'all didn't get that!  I said, God, sent His ONLY son to die on the cross for me.  He loves me sooooo much that He would do that, so why on earth would I think I am not worthy of anything good and that no good will ever come out of me and anything that I touch?  So I started reminding my friend of who she is in Christ and how blessed she is that she has been chosen by Him.  John 15v5-7:  "5 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit;  apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask WHATEVER you wish, and it will be given you"  

So, if I understand this correctly:
  1. We have been chosen by God
  2. We are His sons and daughters
  3. If we remain in Him and He in us we will bear much fruit and WHATEVER we wish for He WILL give to us.
  4. We also know that in ALL things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose (Romans 8v28)
  5. Matthew 21v22 You can pray for ANYTHING, and IF you have faith, you WILL receive it.
So, my question to my friend was, why then are you terrified of what your future holds?  How can what you see and experience determine your state of mind?  Where is your faith?  Hebrews 11v11:  "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" and Jeremiah 29v11 "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"  Can we strive to get to a point where we trust Him wholeheartedly and not be moved by what happens around us?  Can we maybe get to a point where we watch all these addictive shows on our screens as purely entertainment and NOT life lessons?  

With that said, I would like to breathe life into any dead situation in your life, be it a relationship, a job, a business, a dream, a man you have been trusting God for. Claim it! Decree it!  P.U.S.H and remember Isaiah 54v17:  "No weapon that is formed against you will prosper; And every tongue that accuses you in judgment you will condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, And their vindication is from Me," declares the LORD" so stand firm and don't be shaken by Kim's divorce, your parents and friends failed marriages as YOU are not them and YOUR path is yours and yours alone!!


Have a good week and Stay Blessed xoxo

5 comments:

Miss Mpela said...

WOW what a lovely post. xoxo

KeituM said...

Wow Neo, it sure is good to know a sister in christ! You always get me back in my focus which is like you just said, 'knowing my place in God'...remembering that I am the daughter of the most high. God Bless you lady.

Kiiks said...

I am His! Love love love this! It's so easy for us to get carried away in the failures around us. And there we sit, calling such upon ourselves while we're at it. Thank you! *

Unknown said...

@Miss Mpela,I'm glad you enjoyed the read.
@KeituM, it sure is good to know you and be surrounded by such amazing sisters in Christ. God bless you too hon.
@Keke, so true, we tend to forget and yet scripture reminds us all the time who we are and the treasures that are waiting for us.

Stay Blessed beautiful ladies xoxo

Tshego said...

Hao! Kante aren't reality shows real?? #burstbubble *sobs*

Lovely piece my friend, I had a couple of chuckles along the way. Thank you for reaffirming our identity (which never leaves us by the way, we choose to leave it behind).
And as much as scripture is there, it won't read itself.
This is the kind of post that will help someone like the friend you spoke about. Sometimes things like this need to happen for people to fully understand their worth, whose they are and how much they are loved because we're not always able to link scripture to reality. I truly hope we each take something from it :)

Loved reading this.